12/04/2015

Revision/Studying 101


If you are going to be facing exams, like myself, you know what it feels like to need to keep motivated and revise. Revising is a key way of remembering information and you shouldn't go into any exam without doing so. I am going to be sitting my GCSEs (finals) this year and after sitting 3 last year I am well prepared for how to get maximum revision done this year.

Reading tips on how to revise can sometimes be same-old-same-old. I am basically going to cover everything you could do and everything you should know or have for perfect revision. 


Firstly, equipment recommendation:

‣ Tesco currently have a new and adorable floral range of stationery and it is fairly cheap. I got an A4 notepad and an A5 notepad for just £6.50. The paper in them isn't flimsy and I'm so chuffed that they are hardback because it means I don't have to lean on a table.

‣ Flashcards are totally helpful and you can either buy them or make your own. Last year I made my own but, because I have a lot more to revise this year, I decided to buy them. You can buy (or make) them in all different colours or even lined. I got white lined ones which is great for keeping it neat. I totally recommend card because paper falls apart and doesn't stay as sturdy.

‣ CGP books are the best revision guides I have come across. If you find a CGP book under your subject and exam board it's lucky because these have the best run downs of the curriculum. Although this may sound like I'm completely nerding out, these books are your best bet. They always stick in a bit a slapstick humour to cheer up your revision too.

‣ Post-It Notes are completely multipurpose and are, indeed, a must-have. I use them in revision guides, text books, exercise books, to separate flashcards or even for my own books. Pop in a post-it and you'll never lose your place.

‣ Highlighters and coloured pencils/pens are super! There's nothing worse than looking at a black and white page full of writing. Adding colour is fun and is scientifically proven to improve your memory.

‣ I got a personal planner/diary for Christmas and they're a great idea for exam times. I keep the vital information in there and you can decorate each page as a fun break from revision. It's really handy to be able to see my exams' distance and duration.

There are lots of different revision methods:

Flashcards - you can make your own or you can now even get an app.
‣ Mind-maps 
Post-it Pages - go through your revision guide or text book and post-it any pages you may not funny understand.
Round Up - Round up each of your topics with brief notes covering each sub-topic. 
CGP Quizzes - the revision books have quizzes at the end of each module which sum up the module simply. 
Go online - use websites such as ExamTime or Bitesize. I think Bitesize is fantastic for revision, quizzes and interactive activities. 
Past papers - these are really useful for practice and getting used to the exam style. You can access these online or print real copies. 
Teaching - if you teach the information to your parents and friends it can help you understand it too.
Forming a study group - staying in your room with revision gear all day long can be a bit antisocial so it's a great idea to study with your friends too - just don't get too distracted!

Finally, there are a few vital things you should do in preparation for your exams. You can print out revision timetables from websites such as this or you can create your own on Excel/Numbers. Along with that it is important to keep up the revision. Although it isn't completely fun and doing other activities are always of your best interest, using all this advice you should be able to find at least one way to make revision work.

In final preparation for the exam it's obviously ideal to sleep well the night before, eat well (don't skip breakfast! Things like porridge with fruits are fab for the brain) and relax. Some people can get very over-panicked about exams - for that, there is no better cure than to keep calm.

Good Luck!

12 COMMENTS:

  1. Loved reading this post, I definitely need to start using flash cards, I mainly do mind maps at the minute.

    emilyrose | emlaff.blogspot.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely say that a variety is perfect :D
      Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Revision is such a struggle!!! x
    theenglishrosegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually some major points, and very helpful too! Mind-maps usually help but making them takes way too much time for me! Xx

    THOUGHTS IN TIFFANY BLUE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great revision tips, I've done a post similar in the past and it seemed to help some people!

    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have exams this week and instead of studying I'm reading blogs... ahg. Anyways, the tips were great!! Thanks for sharing, I love using flashcards for studying vocabulary :)

    xx cecil // www.wednesday19th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these all look wonderful!
    Follow you on GFC and Google+
    Follow me back !

    beautybeybi.blogspot.com.tr

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR COMMENTING